Re: [DNS] BHP's OneSteel

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:19:21 +1000
Hi David

I think you've made some telling arguments in your email causing me to agree
with you again.  Yes, I'd say the one-steel.com was worth registering.  I
didn't explicitly state that in my first email but I did say so in my reply
with:

> ] As far as the .net and .org, I can register them both for about A$50.  I
would
> ] have also registered the hyphenated versions.

In fact, I'd agree that the value of the .net and .org versions have been so
downgraded by the emphasis on .com that hardly anyone even considers they're
worth registering.  You wrote:

> I can't imagine why any sane user would look for a clearly commercial
company
> like OneSteel Ltd at onesteel.org or onesteel.net without trying
onesteel.com
> first.
.
Too true.  But alternates have to have value -- even if it is only nuisance
value -- otherwise why would people like Deborah Ryder register onesteel.net.
And the UDRP is a "close the stable door after the horse has bolted" reactive
measure of companies with sleepy admnistrators.

In that case we at least agree on being "proactive".  You also said:

> One of the positive things which may come out of ICANN's new gTLDs in
> the long term is the realisation that you can't "protect" your name by
> registering it in all possible gTLDs.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Me too :).

Best regards
Patrick Corliss

PS    I appreciate the input which has made me rethink scope and direction.
Thank you.