Re: [DNS] FW: Important Information Regarding Your COM.AU Domain Names (fwd)

From: Doug Robb <doug§>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:24:36 +0800 (WST)
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, David Keegel wrote:

> Are you familiar with and
> I understand the UK decided to set them up with this notion of a
> 1:1 map of company names.  The funny thing is, most people seem to
> prefer using, because it is what everybody else uses.  Perhaps
> there is a lesson there for people wanting to introduce new gTLDs...

Hi David, I'm of the opinion that
should never have been set up assuming it was simply a
map of company names in the first place. So my comments
were coming from the point of view that if you really
must have or want a 1:1 map of company names then do that
within some other gTLD and allow  follow
the .com model (ie resource based).

How useful this would be is another question but at
least you wouldn't have policy makers arguing
that the domain is for company names only.

Some gTLDS do work quite well in my opinion. eg .gov
and .edu how any others would go is going to be interesting.

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;