Re: [DNS] BHP's OneSteel

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 05:15:08 +1000
David Keegal wrote:

> Am I missing something here?  I don't understand this analysis.

Hi David

My feeling is that you understood the analysis but just didn't share my
viewpoint.  In fact I agree with you there are very many possible variations
on "onesteel" and attempting to register them all  is not a particularly
satisfactory way of protecting one's name.

> So if OneSteel has onesteel.com and onesteel.com.au, I can't see why
> they would care whether anyone had onesteel.net, onesteel.org, etc.

My first point was Deborah Ryder, a US resident registered onesteel.net on 27
April 2000 before Megan Waine (acting for BHP) registered onesteel.com.au on 1
May 2000.  Since the .com was registered on 6 April 2000 I saw that the 25-day
delay caused a risk of losing the .com.au.

As far as the .net and .org, I can register them both for about A$50.  I would
have also registered the hyphenated versions.   The extra cost seems minor for
such a simple preventative measure.

But I agree that you have to draw the line somewhere and even you seem to
agree that registering both the .com and the .com.au is worth doing.  Even
that's one too many !!

I'd just stretch it a little further . . .

Best regards
Patrick Corliss