Re: [DNS] Place Names

From: <m§rk.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:34:08 -1000
>on 18/10/00 8:07 PM, m&#167;rk.net at m§rk.net wrote:
>
>> What interests me more is why we even bother with second-level domains like

>> .com.au or whatever - I'd much rather have domainname.au and do away with

>> the whole .net.au, .asn.au crap.
>

>There are many countries who have gone down this path, but there are some
>significant problems:
>
>1- no distinction for government (.gov) and educational bodies (.edu). It
>makes sense to give them domain suffixes of their own. They are then not
>competing in the same namespace.
There would be nothing to stop people from using these 2nd level names if they
want to. You can still have domainname.au and domainname.com.au

>2- Even lower supply to meet the demand. At the moment, just having both
>net.au and com.au almost doubles the amount of space available to
>businesses. net.au is being used more and more by non-networking businesses.

See above. Allowing domains directly under .au actually increases the supply,
as you put it.

>I would actually advocate in the opposite direction. The current high US
>prices for generic word domains, and the strong pressure here is because
>demand is greater than supply. Another person pointed that out recently on

>this list.
Sorry...I'm new here, and the archive feature of the listserv doesn't seem to
be working properly. :)

Cheers,

Mark