RE: [DNS] Place Names

From: Jonathon Seally <jon§verve.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:31:43 +1100
... but then that negates the point of having the .org.au, .com.au, .net.au
domains in the first place, if the one company registers their name in each.
We get back to the same problem of why not just have acme.au instead of
acme.com.au, cutting down on the number of domain names available.
Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be appropiate to tie the allocation of
domain names to the registration of the entity. For example use the .com.au
domains to describe pty ltd companies, .org.au to describe registered
business names, or some such linking. The only proviso would be that you
couldn't abbreviate your name to get a derived domain name, so Acme Plumbing
Pty Ltd could not register acme.com.au.
jon