Re: [DNS] More - [DNS] Generic Domain Names

From: Doug Robb <doug§cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:34:06 +0800 (WST)
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Matthew King wrote:

> 4/ For fairness I believe that the large generic list  should be
> opened by having an application period and then a random selection
> process for each of the domains. If only one person applies for a
> domain then they get it. (at the normal price). If there are a
> hundred then IT MUST BE random.

Yes I think now everyone is aware of the value of
generic names that who gets them now is a huge problem.

My fear is that Melb IT being the commercial animal
they are now will start to sell them off to the
highest bidders themselves. eg why wouldn't they just
auction them
off and make $1 Million for business.com.au themselves
instead of selling it for $125 so someone else can cash in.

If that happens it would be a disgrace but either way
I think the prospect of getting one now is low and
falling.

doug