[DNS] More - [DNS] Generic Domain Names

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:58:50 +1000
1/ Subjective rules are by definition unfair to someone.
2/ The rules themselves seem to stem from an academic background ie.
a mix of the hallowed halls and that lovely old Australian tendency
to monopoly (read Telstra et al) with its distrust of letting people
make up their own minds about things.
3/ Let the market decide. Make it easy to buy and sell domains and
the problem is sorted.
4/ For fairness I believe that the large generic list  should be
opened by having an application period and then a random selection
process for each of the domains. If only one person applies for a
domain then they get it. (at the normal price). If there are a
hundred then IT MUST BE random.
5/ I believe that the foolishness about cyber piracy should be seen
as the smoke screen it is.  It seems to me that only Melbourne IT
gains from wrapping us in red tape. I'd rather McDonalds  the Butcher
get McDonalds.com.au if they are faster off the draw.

Matthew King