[DNS] FAQ's, lists and forums

From: Ron Ipsen <ron§comu.net.au>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 22:06:01 +1000
I like the FAQ's as they are being presented. They seem to cover a wide
range of stuff and should work well with the appropriate links etc.

The List (this one) should IMHO retain the key role in communicating what is
going on to the wider group of interested parties or "stake holders". I do
not however believe that the"flat" format of the lists is sufficient to
enable all of the topics to be discussed and outcomes produced without
everyone going into information overload.

 Simple list formats are simply out of their depth when trying to do the
kind of tasks we are approaching here.

 I believe this list should be an area where summaries and reports of
working groups are presented. I believe this list should be a form of exec
committee, receiving summaries and commenting and perhaps actioning them.

 We have been given by Kate and the NOIE quite clear issues to be addressed.

Each of these issues could be addressed by those who have a special interest
in them without overloading this list with arguments and counter points as
things sort themselves out and consensus is reached.

 Each issue should, in the opinion of some of the members here, be moderated
or chaired, and reports or further clarifications brought back to this list.
In effect working groups.

 Each issue, or conference should be email based but should maintain an
active web interface so that progress can be monitored and comments added
by those interested.

 Anyway it is built, it is the choice of this list on how to progress and
which formats we utilise for what purpose. Those wishing to participate or
inspect it should go to http://bi.gips.com.au:8080/~dns and make yourself a
profile.

 If you want to participate in the discussions via email (the interface
records these also) mark that on your profile as you fill it in.

 The software is compliments of Multimedia Victoria and Skillsnet.

Ron.

PS.

In truth, and I hate to bring it up again, but we are against the clock
here. How long will it be until the waters of the DNS are so murky that
intuitive dns is no longer viable. How long until the .aus.com's & .au.com's
etc etc make the .au namespace devalued to a point of irrelevancy.

Ron Ipsen,
Managing Director,
Gippsland Internet Pty Ltd
Ph: 61 3 51 276543  Fax: 61 3 51 262020