[DNS] Questions for DNS FAQ

From: Paul Montgomery <monty§knapp.com.au>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 22:30:46 +1000
Before I start with the questions, I'd like to say that the story on page 11
of today's Daily Telegraph about Robert Elz was the most terrible piece of
reporting I've seen in a long time. I hope it wasn't reprinted in the
Herald-Sun, though I suspect it was. Robert, if you're lurking, I'd like to
apologise on behalf of the journalism profession.

With that said, here goes the first attempt. I am not putting this list up so
people can reply back with the answers - that comes later. I know most of the
answers, as do most of you, but right now we need to be sure about the
questions, because I'm sure a lot of you would like to see more or different
questions than what is here. Comments, which are not part of the body text,
are in square brackets.

0.0 Definitions

  0.1 What does this acronym mean...
  0.1.x DNS, DNA, ADNA, WAIA, IIA, INTIAA, AIA, ACCC, NOIE, AVCC,
        AUNIC, TLD, ccTLD, gTLD, 2LD, 3LD, CORE, IANA, NSF, ISO, IAHC,
        ISOC, ISOC-AU, NSI, MIT, INA, SRS...
  0.2 What does this bit of jargon mean... [suggestions?]
  0.3 Who is this person...

1.0 Existence and purpose

  1.1 What is this list?
  1.2 Who maintains this list?
  1.3 What is the membership of this list?
    1.3.1 Who is welcome/unwelcome to join this list?
    1.3.2 Which people should be on this list, but aren't?
    1.3.3 Which people are on this list, but shouldn't be?
  1.4 How is this list different from the IIA one?
  1.5 What is the purpose/s of this list?
  1.6 What is the scope of this list?
  1.7 What is the goal/s of this list?

2.0 Architecture and history [2.1 to 2.3 is at www.aunic.net]

  2.1 Who has control over DNS in Australia?
  2.2 How is this control delegated?
  2.3 What are the 2LDs under .au?
    2.3.1 What are each of these 2LDs for?
    2.3.2 What are the acceptance policies for each of these 2LDs?
  2.4 What is the history of DNS in Australia?
  2.5 What is the history of ADNA?
  2.6 How important is ADNA to DNS in Australia?

3.0 Present

  3.1 What is the current situation?
  3.2 What are the circumstances by which the situation will change?
    3.2.1 What does "broad consensus" mean? [Robert Elz?]
  3.3 Who is willing to help?
    3.3.1 What is NOIE's role in the future? [Erica Roberts?]
    3.3.2 What is the IIA's role in the future? [Luke Carruthers?]
    3.3.3 What is the ASX's role in the future? [Steve Thompson?]
  3.3 Who is co-ordinating the work which is being done?
  3.4 What are the projects being worked upon?
  3.5 How do I join one or more of these projects?
  3.6 Is there to be a real-life meeting about these issues? [Erica?]
    3.6.1 Where, when, attended by whom, and hosted by whom?

4.0 Further resources

  4.1 What general DNS documentation is available on the Web?
  4.2 What DNS documentation relating specifically to Australia is
      available on the Web? [Geoff, et al?]
  4.3 What media stories have been written about DNS in Australia
      [especially written by that Paul Montgomery fellow, I hear he's
      very good ;-) ]?

--
Paul Montgomery, features editor for Image & Data Manager and assistant
editor for Internet World. Lives like a JavaBean. Go Bergkamp in WC98!