RE: DNS: More .AU Questions...

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:46:02 +1000
>The .au dns IMHO ain't broke - I get requests processed in good time now
>so why should I want to change it. I like the fact that .com.au has rules
>and therefore I can be patient to wait for the approvals to happen.
>Even .org.au is sort of swift nowadays - WHAT IS THE REASON YOU WANT
>CHANGE ?
>
>Do you want change under .au or just com.au ?

>Stephen Baxter             SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
>phone : +61 8 8221 5221    222 Grote Street
>fax   : +61 8 8221 5220    Adelaide 5000, Australia
>
>(www.ausbone.net - do not go quietly into the night !)

Stephen

You ask important questions. Let me ask a few questions of my own (please
don't answer, I am trying to point out that there are issues to be resolved).

How did the current rules arise?
What - exactly - are they?
How are they applied?
What is the procedure for evaluating their usefulness?
...or their 'success' (however that is defined)?
If their is dissatisfaction with the current rules, how is this formally
expressed?
What is the procedure for submitting proposals for alteration.
Why is one company profiting from com.au registrations?
Is $125 a fair price for registrations?

I'm sure everyone on this list can find a number of questions like this
that have no immediate answer.

I agree that registrations in .AU have improved of late. This is undeniably
a good thing. Does that mean that everything is OK and we can stop
investigating the issue?

.AU is a National Resource. It belongs to the people of Australia.

As such, its management ought to be accountable to the people to whom it
belongs, and currently this is not the case. Perhaps it never will be, but
I believe that those people have a right to demand that we should at least
try.

This is why government is interested in this issue - becuase they are
(supposed to be) the ultimate guardian of National interests. What we need
to do is demonstrate that management of .AU can be handled credibly by this
industry on behalf of the Australian people.

Member of this list may know how to register a .com.au  through MIT/INA.
This doesn't mean that the entire management of .AU is as good as it could be.

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043