Re: DNS: defining "official" domains

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1§ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:08:36 +0100
Rick and all,

Rick Welykochy wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Simon Hackett wrote:
>
> > I think that Rick's notion of criticising people for allowing subdomains of
> > domain spaces that they control to be delegated to others is rather a
> > strange one, given that the entire internet DNS works that way!
>
> Stranger things have been said on the net, Simon ;)
>
> Seriously, I agree the DNS works in a hierarchical fashion,
> but keep in mind that a domain name ultimately refers to
> a host.
>
> What occurs between the host name and the root TLD is what is
> being considered by this thread. I still submit that the moment
> the domain name 'leaves' the sanctioned root authority somewhere
> along it's hierarchical path, we are out of the "delegation
> and onselling" arena and into the "user or customer" arena.
>
> Example:
>
>    www.dot.net.au     is our main web server
>
>    It would be inappropriate and downright idiotic for
>    Dot Communications to onsell domains piggy backed to
>    the above, e.g.
>
>    tieshop.www.dot.net.au     this is silly
>
>    Let's move back up one level in the hierarchy.
>
>    dot.net.au         is our root domain for our company
>
>    Once again, onselling domains in this domain is
>    a bit naf. e.g.
>
>    tieshop.dot.net.au       not too portable! if tieshop
>                             moves to OzEmail, they are screwed
>
>    BTW: You see a lot of the above nonsense happening on the
>    Internet, but strangely, only in the commercial areas ;-)
>    If there is a fast buck to be made ... that doesn't give the
>    product or technique any more validity.
>
>    Finally, moving back up the hierarchy once more, we arrive
>    at the 2LD managed by connect.com.au:
>
>    net.au              fine ... delegate subdomains and have fun!
>
>    This is because .net.au is INTENDED and SANCTION for this
>    purpose.

Rick, I think you are mistaken here.  .net.au is not sanctioned "Officialy".
Do a whois on it and you get a "Not found".  None of the 13 Root servers
will resolve it.

> Thus, it is simplistic and glib to say the entire DNS particpates
> in this hierarchical process and thus all delegations at
> any level have equal validity. There are semantics and rules
> to each level in the DNS ... it is not an unamanged open slather.

  This is how it should work currently.  However currently id does not.

> Regards,
> R Welykochy
> Dot Communications Ltd

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.