Re: DNS: defining "official" domains

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1§>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:57:28 +0100
Leni and all,

Leni Mayo wrote:

> Rick Welykochy wrote:
> > (*) *.au domains will go on forever ... they are THE sanctified
> >     TLD's in Australia
> Like many others I have a gut feel that some domains are "official"
> while others aren't.  It might be interesting to elaborate on what
> this means.

  If they are not in the current Legacy Root structure, than they are not

> Rick points out that no fees need to be paid to renew the domain.
> That seems to be a necessary condition, but not sufficient.

  Certianly not sufficient, and more than likely depending on Australias
Telecommunitactions laws possibly not a necessary condition either.

> There needs to be a chain of delegation authority from IANA.  Again,
> necessary, but not sufficient.

  Which IANA?  The current version or the "New IANA"?

> Continuing to mull...
> Leni.

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
E-Mail jwkckid1&#167;