Re: [DNS] New DNS list start and name

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:12:17 +1000 (EST)
] > In the mean time, I'd like to suggest that the new list have "au" in
] > its name (eg: au-dns or dns-au)
] > (1) To underline the point that this is just for Australian DNS,
] >     not for discussions of alternate roots, gTLDs, InterNIC, etc.
] > (2) To differentiate this list from the previous one (some people
] >     like to tell from the Subject: which list it is from).
]
] I trust you mean the [DNS] bit be changed to  [DNS-AU] or [AU-DNS]  and not
] the email address be changed. This could mean everyone re-subscribing to
] another list... messy.

Yes.  (I hadn't noticed the difference between DNS: and [DNS] earlier,
sorry about that.)

There is also the question of how to refer to the list to distinguish it
from dns&#167;iaa (and other mail lists), other than "the new DNS list" (which
would quickly become dated) or "the WAIA DNS list" (which may not convey
the right connotations).

] Also, a total exclusion on 'other' DNS should not happen. Yes, the focus
] should be on the Australia DNS, but issues external should be open for
] discussion if they might potentially impact us. Eg, there was discussion one
] time about having to pay licencing fees on subdomains without our own domain
] names.

Perhaps the wording in reason 1 was over-reacting a bit.  IMHO the list
should be focussed on `exclusively Australian DNS', but allow comments
on other related topics as long as that doesn't swamp the main focus.
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management