Re: DNS: Re: Top ten issues for EC Summit in Canberra

From: <mark.hughes§anz.ccamatil.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:38:15 +1000
Kate,

>Re pr.au: I was just writing a letter about the process by which this
>is being pushed by ADNA board fiat, against the expressed wishes of the
>trademark community.  I'll send it separately.

That will be valuable.  I am also part way through a paper on the
DNS system and Trademarks, which I have promised to Ross
Wilson, the trademarks commissioner.  I will make mine
publicly available as well.

Although my paper is not complete, I can tell you that
at this stage the broad thrust is:

* Although DNS & Trademarks is currently a sexy topic,
there's no real connection.
* A domain name being issued for 'mcdonald.SLD.TLD'
or 'mcdonald.TLD' technically has the same issues for
McDonalds Family Restaurants as the publication of
a book titled 'Old McDonald had a Farm'.  As Geoff
expressed it at the NOIE meeting on Monday,
having a trademark does not give ownership of the name.
* Attempts to cripple the DNS system to make life
easier for a few multinational trademark owners will
fail, and are also the wrong solution.
* There are some strategies that could be employed in
sub-set of the DNS - such as .au - that might make things
easier for trademark owners without compromising either
the DNS or the rights of domain name users, which have at
least as high a priority as the rights of trademark
owners.  Certainly, domain name users outnumber trademark
owners.

>Sounds good Mark, except that the ADNA timetable for "Introduction of
>pr.au and Multiple Commercial Registrars" suggests the opposite:
>
> * 1 June pr.au operations commence (potentially with initially single
DNA)
>                                                                ^^^^^^
> * 6 July (nominally) Receive SRS software, implemented and tested by
>   vendor. Commence testing with existing DNAs.

Yes, this was the subject of 'vigorous' discussion at the last ADNA
board meeting.  In the end, as both dates were in reality subject
to change, we left them in as you see them, with the full knowlege
that what actually developed might be different.

My own opinion is - and my ADNA vote will be - that .pr.au should
not actually start unless there are multiple Registrars operating
there.  I'm quite happy to be on the record that any new SLD
should have multiple Registrars from day one.

Regards, Mark