Re: DNS: Re: DNS

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:01:13 +0800
> This posting is addressed to Robert Elz and Co.

I'm not in that group, but I'll have a go.

> 1.    Who is the Licensor of .AU Domain Space?

Robert Elz.

> 2.    What are the contact details for this Person/Corporation/Department?

kre&#167;munnari.oz.au

> 3.    Who are the licenses for .AU?
> 4.    What Space do they administer?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question.  But the responsibility
for some 2LD's have been delegated by Robert to:

Melbourne IT (COM.AU apparently on a "non exclusive basis")
Hugh Irvine (NET.AU, and he has apparently delegated this to connect.com.au)
Geoff Huston (GOV.AU, EDU.AU and I think) INFO.AU
Robert Elz himself (ORG.AU, CONF.AU and others)
Michael Malone (ASN.AU, itty bitty one)

ID.AU has been delegated to lots of people at the 3LD level.

See http://aunic.net and follow the links.

> 6.    How much did it cost to become a licensee?

Nothing.  All of these 2LD's were delegated long ago.  All of them
were handled for free, by the volunteers, as well, so nobody really
cared either.  Managing 2LD's didn't really have any monetary
value.

Robert Elz was handling COM.AU himself, and falling way way behind
by mid 1996, as the number of COM.AU registrations really started
to take off.  People were waiting around 2 months for a COM.AU domain
name if memory serves me right.  Remember there was no charge, so
Robert was doing it in his spare time and was unable to keep up.  He
delegated authority for COM.AU to Melbourne IT in October 1996. The
details of this are not public, although we know that it is a five
year non exclusive license.

Melbourne IT charged for COM.AU domain names, of course.  So all the
ISP's started recommending their clients to gett NET.AU domains instead.
After about a month of this, connect.com.au also started to charge a
fee, so they could employ people to handle the load.

ORG.AU, CONF.AU, GOV.AU, EDU.AU and ASN.AU remain free and are
handled by the volunteers named above.

> 7.    Who controls and sets policy for these licensee's?
> 8.    What are the contact details for the above?

Good question.  Each of the 2LD admins listed above sets there
own policy.  Apparently this is not the case for Melbourne IT.
M-IT inherited the policy that was in place with Robert, and
they only change it by consultation and agreement with the 'net
community.

> 9.    By what authority does ADNA operate over DNS in .AU?

ADNA currently has no authority at all.  The intention is that
each of the 2LD delegates, and Robert as delegate for .AU, will
cede their authority to ADNA.  Obviously, this would only happen
if we all saw ADNA as a viable solution, operating fairly, and
unlikely to damage the Australian DNS.

http://www.adna.asn.au

> 11.  How many other Organisation are involved in DNS administration is .AU?
> 12.  What are the contact details of these organisations?

Umm.  There are about 500 ISP's in Australia, all of whom are involved
in paying registries such as M-IT and CCA, promoting the .AU name space,
and/or lobbying ADNA if not directly involved or represented.  The AVCC has
a very strong voice with respect to EDU.AU.  Several organisations are
members of ADNA.  ISOC-AU has shown itself to be influential, mainly due
to the efforts of some knowledgable board members.  I suppose that if Alston
stepped in, then the government could reasonably claim authority if they
wished, although that would be interesting to watch.

So, "lots of organisations are involved".  The intention is that these
organisations will focus into ADNA, leaving one authority.

> I look forward to receiving the requested information.

Don't take my answers as gospel.

MM