Re: DNS: Domain Registration in Australia

From: Boz Cappie <B.Cappie§hum.uts.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:47:23 +1100
On 23/02/98, Rick Welykochy wrote:

>(2) dan.com.au
>    divdat.com.au
>    diversified.com.au
>
>   All three are registered to the same person. "dan" is the guy's name!
>   And his ACN is listed as "000000000". Hmmmmf!  Also, "diversified" is
>   a dictionary word.

It seems as though the anomolies went through because the registrant
incorrectly supplied information - a check of the entries indicates this.
However, I think it should have picked up, especially with the absence of
either a RBN or ACN on one of the entries and the provision of the same RBN
for two different business names. Now THAT's illegal! Unless, of course,
the registrant changed his business name and neglected to inform the dns gods.

I still think that one of the more interesting fights that has gone on over
naming is that of consult.com, denied registration of the domain name
'consult.com.au' through some very ludicrous reasoning. Ramin might be able
to let us know how it's going, but essentially, MelbourneIT apparently say
that 'consult' is the name of an industry and so can't be used. To me, this
is the biggest piece of b.s. that I've ever heard.
-- reality is what you can get away with --

Boz Cappie
Lecturer
Institute of Interactive Multimedia
University of Technology, Sydney.