Re: DNS: Domain Registration in Australia

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:41:33 +1100
>a mild disagreement.  there is no way that anyone can convince me that the
>980,000-odd business names correspond 1-on-1 with domain names, even if it

I wasn't refering to EVERY BUSINESS NAME.  Gosh.  Most people still don't
know what Internet is.

>was mandated that only the form wxy.john'stakeawayptylimited.com.au was
>used.

Incidently you should not use PTY or LTD in your domain name as it's
possible to change status of the company therefore putting in jeopardy the
domain name, especially if you use that domain name to identify yourself.
AAPT woudl have been a good example if they had aatp-pty-ltd.com.au and
then floated and became aapt-ltd.com.au.  Would be very confusing and only
further prove that the DNS is not a directlry service, but a means to
convert IP addresses to human rememberable words.

>also, it cannot be totally illegal to register a business name to secure a
>domain name.  why would that be?

The Law clearly states you must INTEND TO TRADE by using the name.  If you
have a company that sells a product and you register a business name that
allows you a "catchy" domain name, but trade under the company you are not
trading under the business name.

>especially if the domain name helps your business?

Nope, you MUST TRADE under the name.  That's the basic BLACK AND WHITE.

Whether you make profit or not is another issue.  Use it as a loss leader
if you wish - charge all Internet activities to the Business name and keep
injecting revenue to pay the bills, but you must trade under the name.

>whilst use of a domain name does not imply trading under that
>name.  For example, if amazon.com had not registered the business name
>amazon.com corporation (i guess amazon corporation was already being used
>by at least one other company), does that mean that amazon.com should cease
>trading or change names.  Not.

It coudn't register a business name with the word CORPORATION in it, so the
paragraph above is irrelevant.

>also, you say "> You are not suppose (sic) to use a Business Name as a form
>of identity."  Please let me understand this.  What else is a business name
>to be used for?

Again out of context.  You are not suppose to use a business name as a form
of identity if you do not intend to trade under that name.  Trade again
meaning to make a financial transaction.

>Must have been the late night.

Probably was :)  But the intent was still there :)

>Hang Ten

down to 9 ...

      The world operates 24 hours a day ... so do the servers.
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convery Member
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
						   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net
AU Root Server Confederation              http://aursc.ah.net
AU Internet News  mailto:internet-request&#167;ah.net  with "subscribe"