Re: DNS: Implementation of Changes to COM.AU Naming Policy and Renewals Policy

From: Scott Howard <scott§hunterlink.net.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:42:21 +1100 (EST)
> A. Amendments to the com.au Naming Policy

[...]

> Rule 7 (excluding Australian place names) has been defined more exactly;
> it explicitly excludes Australian placenames found in the the list of
> Australian Postcodes http://www.auspost.com.au/pcode96.htm, plus of
> course Australia itself and the names of Australian States and
> Territories (and their standard abbreviations).

The list of Australian Postcodes is not, and ever will be, a listing of
"Australian Placenames".  There are a large number of companies etc which
have postcodes, or entries in the Postcode database, which are in no way
towns, cities, etc in Australian.

To pick a few at random :
	Marketown (NSW, 2309) - A shopping centre.  There is definitely no
				suburb known as "Marketown", just a
				"Marketown Postoffice".
	Australia Square (NSW, 2000) - Enough Said??
	Hurstville Westfield (NSW, 2220), Parramatta Westfield (NSW, 2150),
	Liverpool Westfield (NSW, 2170) - Enough Said again...

These are just a few that spring to mind - I'm sure there are quite a few
others where the postoffice, and thus the post code, is actually named after
something other than a town, etc.

The whole concept of not allowing "placenames" for domains is, although
with some merit, annoying to say the least.  Having to tell a customer
that he can't have his Company Name as his domain because there is a town
somewhere in Victoria with the same name is not normally what they want to
hear...

  Scott.