Re: DNS: Domain Names - the problems with the present australian authority

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 09:17:56 +1100
Nice try Kim, but the derivation of authority you are quoting here is
quite weak when push comes to shove in terms of the so called
expression of national interest.

While the Internet space remained an essentially private or perhaps
semi-public exercise you may well have been able to make that point stick.
However if you accept that the Internet is a public communications
utility the inference is that the administrative infrastructure
associated with the utility falls within the purview of national
governance in terms of ensuring the expression of the public interest.

Thus although I would not phrase it the same way as Skeeve has, his bottom
line is probably not far from themark as a last resort.

  Geoff Huston