Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 11:40:56 +1000
At 12:03 AM 6/12/96, Antony I. Stein wrote:

>Observation 3: New 2LDs in .AU
>  BIZ.AU, ACN.AU, BOZO.AU ... why not have them all? After all, a name's
>  just a name; if you feel your organisation will be disadvantaged by
>  being registered in UNKNOWN.AU, then don't register there. After all,
>  its your choice. You need to weigh up the convenience factors, the
>  marketing factors, and ease-of-discovery factors. If you want to
>  register in all of them, do so. If 'your' name has already been
>  taken by someone else, then roll up your sleeves and meet them
>  behind the dunny after school to have it out. Its your business.
>
>Observation 4: Internet and freedom
>  What's happening here, people? Let's get back to basics. We're supposed
>  to be equals here in this cyberspace; that's the beauty of it. My
>  perception is that we've managed to progress this far without resorting
>  to over-regulation - why start now?

Like it or not the DNS is being used as a directory, and the value of that directory
is indeed the restricted domain of choice. If you open up the sld .au space to millions
of entries then locating company "acme" becomes a problem of WHICH "xyz" of the
many acme.xyz.au's holds the record for the "acme" you're after.

Too many is as bad a solution to the DNS issues as too few.

The hard bit is getting down to the "right" number.

  Geoff