Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Antony <antony§sydney.healey.com.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 12:36:46 +1100 (GMT+1100)

> Like it or not the DNS is being used as a directory, and the value of that directory
> is indeed the restricted domain of choice. If you open up the sld .au space to millions
> of entries then locating company "acme" becomes a problem of WHICH "xyz" of the
> many acme.xyz.au's holds the record for the "acme" you're after.
>
> Too many is as bad a solution to the DNS issues as too few.
>
> The hard bit is getting down to the "right" number.
>
>   Geoff

I think we should (have) to stay with the .com.au hierarchy, and I don't
really believe .biz.au should be implimented. I'm all for opening up the
.com.au arena to competing DNA's.... I hate monopolies.

With this in mind, I'm now thinking along the lines that perhaps generic
(including dictionary word) domains should be opened up. But, they should
only be opened up to DNA's.

For example, and I stress _example_, that if a computer shop decided to come
online, they could go under the domain of .computers.com.au  or  any service
company could go under .services.com.au

As has been said before, the DNS is being used as a directory service now, and
it no longer matters what it was originally intended to do. It now has to be
adapted.

I realise there are larger issues with opening up generic name 3LD's, and a
company would not be bound to appear in one, but it provides an alternative
whilst maintaining the standard of the .com.au hierarchy.

Antony.

PS: I'd like to thank Simon and Michael for proposing .biz.au as it has
    sparked more concern about .com.au (which may have been the intention :-)

  Antony Healey		ISOC-AU Founding Member		Ph:  +61 2 9893 1883
  General Manager					Fax: +61 2 9893 1884
  Healey Communications Australia  --  Giving you the world...