RE: [Oz-ISP] Re: INET: Re: DNS: URGENT - We must take a stand against Melbourne IT

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:22:15 -0600
On Tuesday, November 12, 1996 3:26 PM, Geoff Huston[SMTP:gih&#167;telstra.net] wrote:
&#167; This is my last post to such a massic cross post - I will cut the cc
&#167; list to dns§intiaa in any further post I make..
&#167;
&#167; >
&#167; > I don't disagree with Geoff, just a few added comments:
&#167; >
&#167; > > 3. Will Melbourne IT expose its accounts to public scrutiny in
&#167; > >    operating this service?
&#167; >
&#167; > One could argue that that is their business. Especially if the
&#167; > non-exclusive nature of the delegation turns into reality with
&#167; > multiple organizations providing competing services.
&#167;
&#167; I would make a stronger statement:
&#167;
&#167; One could argue that that is their business IF AND ONLY IF the domain
&#167; administration function is non-exclusive.
&#167;
&#167; While this organisation is in a monopoly position there remains the
&#167; potential for the uncharitable view to be expressed that this is a
&#167; simply a somewhat indirect method for the University of Melbourne to
&#167; claw back some of this recent 12% funding cutback imposed by the
&#167; Federal Government. Now while of course I do not personally subscribe
&#167; to such a base view of Melbourne IT, my point is that while the
&#167; current monopoly operates with charging applied the organisation
&#167; cannot readily defend itself from the accusation of all kinds of base
&#167; profiteering without a very open approach to the income and expenses
&#167; and services operated by this organisation in undertaking this
&#167; function.
&#167;
&#167; > Mind you, with
&#167; > just 10,000 odd domains served in .com.au that doesn't leave a lot of
&#167; > annual revenue to distribute amongst multiple competing entities.
&#167; > Personally I think that delegation to two separate entities would have
&#167; > made the situation much less divisive, but would it have been viable
&#167; > at this stage?
&#167;
&#167; Gees 10,000 x $100 with a growth rate of doubling a year is not a lot
&#167; of revenue? hmmm.
&#167;
&#167; > > 4. What will happen to financial surpluses generated by this activity?
&#167;
&#167;  ...
&#167;
&#167; > The summary? If there are multiple, competing .com.au service
&#167; > providers that are constrained to send some revenue to AUSCERT, then
&#167; > IMHO their accounts and surpluses are their own business.
&#167;
&#167; If a registry operator pays a "license fee" to a relevant public
&#167; individual membership body such as ISOC-AU for a non-exclusive domain
&#167; administration role then I for one would indicate that you are getting
&#167; towards a structure which is far more stable in terms of
&#167; acceptability. It would then be incumbent on the public membership
&#167; body to put in place a mechanism for disbursment of the funds so
&#167; received to the benefit of the Internet communicaty here in Australia,
&#167; and that could well include financial support to a body like AUSCERT.
&#167; Given that the domain administrative function is then competitively
&#167; based there is less pressure on any particular operator to open the
&#167; kimono with respect to their operation and the movement of funds. If
&#167; any particular operation is overservicing it will lose out
&#167; competitively.
&#167;
&#167; > [ Why is it not a side-track? Because the AUNIC services are one of
&#167; > the few services which pretty much all .au Internet users/ISPs must
&#167; > use, therefore it makes some sense to have that revenue stream fund
&#167; > essential net services that have no natural revenue base, such as the
&#167; > .au name servers, AUSCERT, etc. So where you read AUSCERT above,
&#167; > convert that to essential net services with no natural revenue base.]
&#167;
&#167; I think we are singing much the same tune here.
&#167;
&#167; Thanks,
&#167;
&#167;   Geoff
&#167;
&#167; ----
&#167; Email "unsubscribe aussie-isp" to majordomo§aussie.net to be removed.
&#167;
&#167;

Why do "ISOC-<fill in>" advocates keep saying that
money paid to ISOC structured organizations is "good"
and money paid to anyone else is "bad" ?

There seems to be a pattern here...

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.

e-mail:
JimFleming&#167;unety.net
JimFleming&#167;unety.net.s0.g0 (EDNS/IPv8)