[DNS] Australia's .au Internet domain celebrates 2 million registrations

From: George Pongas <george.pongas§ausregistry.com.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 09:39:34 +1100
Good morning and congratulations to all the AU Domain Name Industry stakeholders.
Last night AU reached an important milestone; 2 Million Domain Names under management.

For everybody's benefit, below is a joint press release by .au Domain Administration (auDA) and AusRegistry.

Australia's .au Internet domain celebrates 2 million registrations

Australia's Internet community celebrated a significant milestone last night with the registration of the two millionth .au domain name.

.au Domain Administration (auDA), the non-profit manager of the .au space, and AusRegistry, the registry operator for designated second level domains, congratulate all .au domain name registrants for contributing to this special achievement.

The milestone follows strong growth in registrations over the past 10 years and places .au in the top 10 largest country codes in the world. This is a testament to the strength and stability of the namespace and its value to the Australian community.

Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy Senator Stephen Conroy said today's milestone was further evidence of Australia's growing digital economy.

"The digital economy is the future and I'm pleased to see more Australians getting an online presence," said Senator Conroy. "The Internet offers incredible opportunities to businesses, organisations and individuals and the continued growth of the .au domain shows how much Australians are embracing the online world in almost all aspects of their lives.

"I congratulate the team at auDA and AusRegistry and look forward to this successful domain expanding further."

The Hon Tony Staley, auDA Board Chair, recognised the milestone as an opportunity to promote the .au namespace as a vital national resource.
".au is Australia's home on the Internet. It's a trusted, well-recognised space for all Australian businesses, organisations and individuals. .au's consistent growth, meaningful stakeholder engagement and sound policy framework are a ringing endorsement of the industry self-regulatory model under which we operate," Mr Staley said.

Chris Disspain, CEO of auDA, said all Australians should be proud of the strong online community we have created through .au.

"There were only about 275,000 .au domains registered when auDA introduced a new competition model in 2002. Now we are celebrating two million registrations and this wouldn't have been possible without the policy reforms and marketing activities auDA have implemented, or without the technical and operational expertise AusRegistry has brought to the industry," Mr Disspain said.

AusRegistry's CEO Adrian Kinderis said .au is one of the most widely used country code domains in the world.

"The .au domain has the highest penetration rate in the world for regulated namespaces with restricted eligibility when you take into account our population. The .au domain has become part of the fabric of doing business in Australia. We have seen continual strong growth in the namespace despite the global financial crisis and other market factors. .au is Australia's domain namespace of choice and the only place to show that you are a trusted Australian," Mr Kinderis said.

##ENDS##

Best Regards,

George Pongas
.au Services Manager
AusRegistry Pty Ltd
Level 8, 10 Queens Road
Melbourne. Victoria. Australia. 3004.
Ph:  +61 3 9866 3710
Fax: +61 3 9866 1970
Email: George.Pongas&#167;ausregistry.com.au
Web:  www.ausregistry.com.au<http://www.ausregistry.com.au/>

The information contained in this communication is intended for the named recipients only. It is subject to copyright and may contain legally privileged and confidential information and if you are not an intended recipient you must not use, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this communication in error, please delete all copies from your system and notify us immediately.