[DNS] Interesting Article: .au ranks as one of the safest name-spaces in the world.

From: Simon <simon§domainerincome.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:30:03 +1100
Hi Everyone,

Given my background in Risk, Security & Fraud Prevention I thought I'd
chime in. :-)

I've seen this document before; it's an interesting read, but the data
(in my view) is questionable. While McAfee is very strong when it comes
to antivirus - malware presents a completely different scenario. Without
getting into a technical discussion, the reality is that antivirus
scanners fall short when it comes to identifying and cleaning up malware.

What the document does outline is that "ease of registration" is _one
factor_ in risk management. Certainly, organised crime and "state
sponsored activities" are common in countries that don't have strong
registrant checks. This is also why I support strong controls and their
associated policies in .au

If you want a "real world" view of the "riskiest countries", take a look
at https://zeustracker.abuse.ch/statistic.php. This ranks Zeus malware
by "hosting countries". It counts the number of hosts and files online.

Here are the top hosting countries right now:

1. US
2. Russia *RU
3. Ukraine (UA)
4. Czech Republic (CZ)
5. Moldova, Republic of (MD)

Here are countries by "number of files online"

1. Russian Federation (RU)
2. Ukraine (UA)
3. China (CN)
4. United Kingdom (GB)
5. United States (US)
6. Kazakhstan (KZ)
7. Czech Republic (CZ)
8. Moldova, Republic of (MD)
9. *Australia* (AU)
10. Mexico (MX)

Note that Australia currently ranks in 9th place (in terms of highest
risk). Obviously this changes over time, depending on infection rates.
This 9th place for Australia is only because of one particular infection
in .au. The point being its difficult to gather enough "statistically
relevant" data in the first instance.

In summary, registrant checks are one _very small_ part of the equation.
An unpatched webserver can just as easily drive up the numbers.

I hope this helps give you a different perspective.

Kind regards,

Simon Johnson
Co-Founder - Domainer Income
Web: DomainerIncome.com <http://www.domainerincome.com> - DomainerIncome