[DNS] A spot of phishing ..

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:34:20 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Josh Rowe wrote:

 > Good Afternon All,
 >
 > It should be noted that there are two quite separate issues here:
 >
 > Issue One: A company has registered "stgeorgewestpac.com.au" which
 > may be in breach of policy.
 >
 > Issue Two: A phisher has used the domain name
 > "stgeorgewestpac.com.au" as a "From:" email address in a phish email.
 >
 > I have not seen any evidence that connects:
 > 	A: the company who registered the domain name "stgeorgewestpac.com.au" with
 > 	B: the entity that sent the phish email below.
 >
 > The nature of the email standards (SMTP) means that phishers can fake
 > the "From:" email messsage field to be any domain name of their
 > choosing.
 >
 > Therefore, without evidence demonstrating a link between the two, the
 > company which registered "stgeorgewestpac.com.au" and the phisher are
 > NOT the same entity.

Quite so, Josh; I don't believe I've implied that they were.

Further, there's no evidence that the phishing pages at the given URLs
were installed with any knowledge of the registrant of stockroutes.info,
Birds Australia Southern Queensland; most likely they were cracked, and
they're no longer there.  The whole hit-and-run needn't take long.

Nor, I'd best add, should we suspect that the host called designsbs-01
at CPE-61-9-248-65.static.wa.bigpond.net.au [61.9.248.65] was anything
other than yet another poor owned Windows box robotically spewing spam,
that got to me before hitting the honeypots feeding the RBLs.

Sure, phishers know better than to forge nonexistant "From:" domains
these days, too many mailservers reject them on connection, so they
need to forge real, preferably convincing domains.  This one somehow
managed to discover that the domain stgeorgewestpac.com.au existed.

As Jon points out, maybe the banks themselves registered this domain
preemptively on the quiet.  Maybe the registrar has verification that
it was all on the level, and maybe emunicate.net is where the bank/s
choose to host or park such domain/s.

Lots of maybes and scant transparency is the best we can expect :)

cheers, Ian