[DNS] Lost Domain ...

From: Chris Bell <lists-dns§blueskyhost.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:52:44 +1000
Are you sure that the domain isn't just in redemption or being tasted?
What is it and when did it expire? I understand why you didn't notice -
have seen this before - but was it delegated to you or did you just have
your own DNS settings for it? If it was delegated to you then they could
argue that they weren't hosting it anyway and therefore don't cary any
responsibility.

I don't know of any precedents for compensation in this scenario - if
you read their T&C it probably places responsibility for renewal upon
the registrant.

Did you buy it from them or register it yourself elsewhere? IMHO that
would have some bearing on the case as well.

Margins are so thin on domain sales and DNS hosting that the scope of
any possible compensation is likely to be rather meager.

cb