[DNS] .au safer?

From: Garth Miller <garth.miller§cocca.cx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:10:33 +1100
Thanks Kim, nice link.

It might be worth noting that these results are undoubtedly related
to registry technology used as well as  policy or price.

By way of example, .tk uses a database drive DNS servers (powerDNS i
believe) which allows registrants to instantly modify the A/MX
records without waiting for zone builds. TLDs which generate zones
once or twice a day are not overly interesting to scammers. In the
case of Christmas Island (which has quite a high rating given its
size)  similar data is being monitored for us by PCH and results are
skewed by the large number of domains in two stub zones which give
away free 3rd level .CX domains and utilize dynamic DNS services.

In  cases where registrants register a second level name and then
give away free third level domains (and include free URL forwarding
or DYN DNS ) the registry policy and price would not impact the
results. As always caution should be exercised when looking at
statistics.

Cheers,

Garth