[DNS] New WHOIS

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:06:40 +1100
I never said there was no discussion. I did say there was no discussion
regarding epp1, at least none I can recollect that wasnt of the form: this is when
you are going to implement it.

the problem here with whois is not so much that registrars where not involved,
rather that a "solution" was going to be foisted on registrars regardless
of if they wanted it or not.

another looming "solution" looking for a prolem, is internationalised domain names,
for which there is no demand. if auda wants idn then it should pay
for all 20 odd registrar systems to be modified to handle idn, because
for most registrars its going to be a non-recoverable investement.

auda has no right to inflict arbitrary costs and changes just to make
itself look good. if auda is prepared to squander big bucks to prop up non
commercially viable operations like aucd then it must be prepared to pay for random
changes it wants otherwise auda has to accept that its the
market and only the market in .au that drives innovation and justifies
investment. nothing else.

Vic