[DNS] accessibility and the internet

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:41:00 -0800 (PST)
And to expand on accessibility and pdf documents, in response to Kim's comments my accessibility guru has advised me (there are also some pertinent comments for those who are still on dial-up attempting to download new versions/features)...

"That right, but also very wrong..
It's right - you can't blame the file format.
It's wrong, though, in that:
a) construction of accessible PDFs is almost a science, and it is oh-so-easy to misdesign a pdf file with regards to accessibility. And, unlike webpages where a nearly-accessible page can give a reasonable experience, with a PDF a "near miss" is usually totally unusable.
b) the user doesn't have much choice on "how they use it". There are very few suitable tools for reading PDFs (don?t forget that screen readers interact with the agent and not with the pdf directly). So if Adobe Reader can't cope, or certain tools can't convert it to suitable formats, then you are in trouble.

There are also other factors that have been ignored:
 - HTML browsers are built into almost every computer and browsing a web-page has become a de-facto skill that users need when using a computer. Expecting them to learn another interface, and one that changes regularly, is annoying - especially when it is not needed as there are alternatives that users already know (HTML, Word)
 - The PDF format changes and expands to cope with new features. This necessitates the downloading of new readers to cope with the new formats. This causes accessibility problems in so far as people on dialup or in outback places can't get easy access to the 35MB download (or magazines where the reader is provided "free" for $7.95). By comparison, most HTML pages will still display in IE 5 which has been around for a very long time.
 - The pdf format itself is not always efficient - although admittedly worse if usually worse and RTF horrendous.

So, HTML is always best as you hit a common denominator on so many levels and lose very little functionality (apart from the ability to print)."