[DNS] Monetised

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:56:56 +1000
If I register a company Sixty Nine Pty Ltd, then register a domain name
sixtynine.com.au, that's all the qualification I need.  If I decide, as MD,
that the business of Sixty Nine Pty Ltd is to sell porn advertising space
over the Internet, I'm quite entitled to have a website to do just that.  I
can "monetise" that domain name for all I want, because that domain name is
derived from my business name.

Applying that criterion means that, to some extent, all domain names are
monetised.

Some of the posts that seek to control how domain names and their resultant
websites are used, are getting dangerously close to suggesting that auDA
should be somehow responsible for monitoring what a registered company does
as a business, as portrayed on their website.

I don't have the answer, and I don't know where the boundary lies between
blatant monetisation by using a domain name alone, and legitimately having a
domain name that belongs to a business that does the same thing.  I think
that Tony's right when he says "What constitutes a "reasonable use of a
domain name" would be a pandora's box no sane person would open."

The suggestion that cheaper domain names somehow exacerbates the problem is
not valid where somebody goes to the expense of registering a $1000 company
just to secure a domain name.

Ron Stark