[DNS] free society Re: Licence Period

From: Tony Owen <tony§seol.net.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:03:30 +0930
> so your comment that the registrars work for the government is false.
> using your logic everyone in tv media works for the government, because
> it is the ultimate authority of the spectrum. complete and utter garbage.

AUDA and Registrars ultimately work at the 'pleasure of the government' -
not for the government, you are twisting my words .. I was specifically
vague in 'sorta runs the show'.

I have rebuked your comments as I assume you are trying to lay groundwork to
lobby AUDA for change, and in general I disagree with your platform.

There are strict guidelines for reselling .au domain names, this does not
really constitute a 'free market', registrars can be 'deregistered' by AUDA.

I know you haven't appreciated my analogies, but here is one that fits the
bill ..

I 'owned' a Taxi in SA for many years, the SA Taxi industry was administered
by a Board. The Taxi Board was independent of the government. To own a Taxi
you needed to meet the boards criteria and sit for various tests. Although I
'owned' the Taxi plates, I had to operate within guidelines or I would lose
them. This is pretty well how the Government has setup the au domain space.

I did not consider I worked in a 'free market', and I think it is wishful
thinking that you believe you are.

Cheers

 Tony

ps.
A few years ago the Board was removed and the administration of SA Taxi's
was handed to Transport SA.