[DNS] ponder this

From: Tony Paterson <tony§cmon.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:42:58 +1000
2 subjects:
Subject 1.

License Period- bla bla- Hold to the rules and you are okay
Bennett writes " As far as Enetica is concerned, we do not register domains from the drop
list for ourselves unless they are specifically applicable to us and our
services. The drop list is there for our customers. Registrar's
activities are also restricted by 'frontrunning' clauses in our auDA"

More importantly - "The drop list is there for our customers."
What Customers and how do they get preferential treatment over the general business/public-?

I think that in order to remove the "stench" of domain scalping.

Should not the current registrant be advised in writing - hard copy and electronic that their url is due for
renewal.
Not once but twice- ie due on such a date and due now and not just electronically or if electronically then that
electronic mail must be replied to if not a "snail mail notice sent"
Should not a reseller be restricted from taking domains that he has "control of" in a 3rd party relationship
Should not the current registrant have to sign a release of the domain if they no longer want it rather that the
current method.
That there be a cooling off period of say 30 days in order for correspondence to be received and replied to.

I also believe all registrars should be bonded and if they are found in breach of the rules they loose their bond-
lets say $100,000.00 = each event=That should keep them honest and ethical. In addition all registrars should
publish a "Notice of Interests" in all organizations they are involved - in other words all
affiliates/vendor/sales/domainier /domain name monetization programs etc. They should also list all domains that
they have registered- in their own name/s, are in partnership, along with the appropriate relationship description
to their business (Close and substantial statement)

It is the ethicists and principals of the registrar's that is important!

Subject 2

NOW PONDER THIS My dear Au DNS Discussion list.

What would you say to the following scenario?

Saturday night
You check to see if a domain (.com.au) you want is available-
It is! Yeh!
You apply for the domain and process the application and have money on deposit with the registrar so payment is
fully made through an account in credit)
Application is taken as successful.
Sunday evening comes you check your email and whoa!
You have received a notice to say you are unsuccessful.
You say to yourself how can this be?
You query the name you registered and find that it registered to another customer of the registrar. (one who has a
large number of domains registered through that registrar. one who in the past has been a point of discussion as
he/they bent the rules to take advantage of domain name registrations in the recent past. one who is lets say has
less principal than most- my personal opinion)
You queried the registrar and ask how this is so?
You ask to see the log files-
The registrar says there was a mistake and that there was a mix up in the reading of the applications????
How is this so>>>??? I thought all applications were treated on a first come first serve basis- Didn't you???
The Registrar backpedals and says we have reversed the "second applicants" approval and the domain name is now in
your name as requested.
In addition, all this happens on a weekend when the registrar's office is closed.
So how was the second registrant approved over the first registrant if the office was closed and the approvals were
done anyway????????

Bye, the way I am a logistician and the scenario above just seem to have that pungent odour of  "events not even
they / I could arrange-insider-buddy-buddy-bent-bent-tica-tica-mar-mar-xtc-xtc"- (yes a little cryptic I know but I
know you will get it if you think about it)

What do you think?

PS: I have had the email string sent to me on this- confirming what I have written- and find it fascinating.

Anthony (Tony) Paterson
Cmon.com.au Pty Ltd
www.cmon.com.au
"Australia wide ISP and Broadband ADSL"
Dial up starts at $9.75  ADSL at $29.95 see site for details
Supporting the community through -see site for details
tony&#167;cmon.com.au