[DNS] Licence Period

From: David Jones <dj_david_jones§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:57:41 +0100 (BST)
--- Kim Davies <kim&#167;cynosure.com.au> wrote:

> Quoting David Jones on Thursday August 17, 2006:
> |
> | Here is my theory,
> |
> | the only way of monitoring a domain prior to
> expiry
> | (that I know) is through the whois data.
> | Allowed queries = 20/hr
>
> Your theory falls apart here. Queries for domain
> social data
> are restricted, queries for domain availability are
> not. Use
> whois-check.ausregistry.net.au:43 instead of the
> regular host
> and make your own drop-catcher.

Sorry Kim but the restriction limit is 20/hr per IP

quoting ausregistry

"Please note that there are restrictions in place on
how many queries you can make. The query limit is 20
per hour from the same IP address. If you need to use
a facility to check for the availability of a Domain
Name, you can use our Domain Availability tool."

Also a drop-catcher will only monitor domains for
availability ie after they have been released. I
believe that Bennet is offering a service which lists
domains which will become available shortly ie those
in pendingdelete status. Maybe I am wrong.

And thinking about it CIA (Connect Infobahn Australia)
which backs enetica has a /24 block which gives them
access to 255 IPs factor this into the equation gives
them the ability to do 1,713,600 whois queries per 14
days (in theory)

DJ