[DNS] Licence Period

From: David Jones <dj_david_jones§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:21:13 +0100 (BST)

> I will say that AusRegistry does not provide
> registrars with any sort of
> expiring domain list.

Here is my theory,

the only way of monitoring a domain prior to expiry
(that I know) is through the whois data. Now assuming
we don't cache the whois every time someone does a
lookup then.

Allowed queries = 20/hr

So 20 x 24 hrs = 480 per day

Assuming 14 day on hold period

14 x 480 = 6720 queries.

Now presuming I have a /29 block or 8 ips

8 x 6720 = 53760

So legally I can monitor 53760 domains per fortnight
which are not registered through my system.

Now if we extend the onhold period to say 30 days and
use 16 ips

30 x 480 x 16 = 230400 per month

Of course you still need a list of registered domains.

PS in no way I am suggesting that any registrars,
resellers or person would do such a thing and you
would need to be pretty organised to do so and why
would you bother anyway.

DJ

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html