[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: Edwin Groothuis <edwin§mavetju.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:58:10 +1000
On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 03:25:08PM +1000, Vic Cinc wrote:
> Edwin Groothuis [edwin&#167;mavetju.org] wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:33:19PM +1000, Vic Cinc wrote:
> > > the only question to ask: is there a demand or not?
> >
> > There is also something called sustainability.
> >
> > Does the need for wood-chips in Japan justify cutting down hundred
> > year old trees in Australia? You sure can make a quick buck with
> > it, but how well will it go in 10, 20 or 50 years?
> >
> > Be careful with what you wish for, because undoing changes isn't
> > easy, if possible at all.
>
> there is no comparison whatsoever between woodchips and domains.

Oh no? For a-z characters give you 26^4 (=456,976) difference
combinations, but my experience with the T9 function on my phone
shows that it gives only 10^4 (=10,000) real combinations. So the
pool to take from is not at large as you think. Unless you want to
buy hjasdhaskjdhad.au :-)

> sustainability is never an issue in digital realms which are to all
> intents and purposes infinite. I dont know why you bring this up its
> not relavent.

> .com has 60,000,000,000 domains and growing. if you consider that full,
> we still have 59,400,000 domains to go. its not full, never will be.

60 million (I've read the rest of this thread) names, but how much
of that is really is use? Try abcd.com, abcde.com and abcdef.com.
I don't really consider 60 million an impressive number if 70% is
rubbish.

Let's try aaaa.com till aaai.com. Except for the aaac.com, aaah.com
and aaai.com, it's all domain parking. 30% proper use, 0% free.

Now try aaaa.com.au till aaai.com.au. Four of them are not still
available for to register, and only one is domain parking. 83%
proper use, 40% free.

Yes, .com is full.

Edwin

--