[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: Brett Fenton <brettf§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:38:43 +1000
On Thursday 08 June 2006 14:00, Chris Disspain wrote:

> No I'm not trying to tell you anything. Neither am I suggesting that no-one
> would buy at the second level. I was asking you what the basis is for your
> assertion that there is a demand exists for such names as xyz.au. In other
> words apart from it being your opinion and apart from the obvious statement
> that if we open up then people will buy, what the basis upon which you
> assert that there is a demand for the current policy to be changed?
>
> Please don't get me wrong. This is a debate that is necessary. It's just
> that auDA cannot and will not make decisions based on your opinion. What
> I'm interested in is evidence of a demand to change the policy.

Chris,

I would have thought that registrations (and accelerated rate of growth) in
relevant analogues such as .jp, .ca and .de would have clearly indicated
demand in the second levels of ccTLD spaces.

I would think that independent research using these to assess demand in
the .au space would have been an appropriate use of a foundation grant.

Regards,
Brett