[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:37:51 +1000
Hi Vic,

>as chris reminded us during the conference auda is not there to benefit registrars and by that token neither is auda >there to
hinder registrars.

Agreed sort of. It's certainly not there to hinder registrars. But I would argue that benefit to registrars is something that does
get taken into account when examining policy matters etc.

>since registrars loses and costs have no impact on policy, then likewise registrar gains should have no impact on >policy
whatsoever.

No. Both have an impact. It is clearly relevant to policy making what the impact is on registrars from a costs point of view. It's
not the only factor but it is one of the factors. So, for example, if there was a demand for more stringent policy from members of
the public we would consider the effect of that on registrars ability to do their job and to remain in business.

> the only fact that is worth discussing is: does a demand exist for xyz.au?

No that's one thing worth discussing not the only thing.

> the answer is overwhelmingly yes.

Really. On what do you base that assertion? Research?

Cheers,

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA
ceo&#167;auda.org.au