[DNS] domain name news - 13 April

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:00:09 +1000 (EST)
Check out http://auda.org.au/domain-news/ for the most
recent edition of the domain news.

The domain name news is supported by auDA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

my: Domain Name Registrations in Malaysia - Coherent
With Or Dismisses Intellectual Property Rights?
http://www.mirandah.com/news/index.php?id=77

ug: Regulator Seeks Control of Uganda's Domain Name
http://allafrica.com/stories/200604110832.html

Cybersquatters move in on London.eu
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13130-2129650,00.html

ICANN consultation process could learn from InternetNZ
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/4EAF276785A2F142CC25714900015134

Lack of communication from ICANN could prove fatal
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/29F692A182E58144CC25714900017D68

A Hot Domain on Ice
http://businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2006/tc20060403_979619.htm

Language diversity to continue net's rise as No. 1
communication medium
http://smh.com.au/news/perspectives/language-diversity-to-continue-nets-rise-as-no-1-communicationmedium/2006/04/10/1144521238556.html

Finding Good ICANN Board Candidates by Ram Mohan
http://www.circleid.com/posts/finding_good_icann_board_candidates/

New .EU Domain Name System Irks U.S. Firm
http://www.techweb.com/headlines_week/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=185300338

****************
DOMAIN NAMES
domain names unique to Malaysia or better known as
?Country Code Top Level Domain Name? (ccTLD) bearing
the domain name extensions ?.com.my?, ?.gov.my?,
?.net.my?, ?.org.my?, ?.edu.my?, ?.mil.my? and the
impending ?.my? Second Level Domain Names. Todate,
more than 30 million domain names has been registered
worldwide, including those in Malaysia.
http://www.mirandah.com/news/index.php?id=77

ug: Regulator Seeks Control of Uganda's Domain Name
If you want to register a domain name with a Ugandan
country code, .ug, the man to speak to is Charles
Musisi, an Internet entrepreneur who has managed the
country's domain names over the past decade.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200604110832.html

ug: What if Govt Owned the .ug Domain? [interview]
Mr Charles Musisi, the Managing Director of Computer
Frontiers International Ltd, one of the pioneers of
the Internet in Uganda, is the designated
administrator of Uganda's country code Top Level
Domain (ccTLD) .ug. Recently the Uganda Communications
Commission raised concern over administration of the
domain but Musisi tells Esther Nakkazi how he would
not relinquish it to the regulator.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200604101362.html

ICANN consultation process could learn from InternetNZ
ICANN and other bodies concerned with internet
governance could learn from InternetNZ?s model of
consultation, says Marilyn Cade, of ICANN?s business
and commercial constituency.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/4EAF276785A2F142CC25714900015134

Lack of communication from ICANN could prove fatal
A delegate to the public session with ICANN?s board at
last month?s Wellington meeting warned that a lack of
communication from the board might lead to the rise of
alternative public networks with more responsive
governing bodies.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/29F692A182E58144CC25714900017D68

A Hot Domain on Ice
Under pressure from policymakers, ICANN delays plans
to give pornography an Internet domain: It's easy to
find porn on the Net. Yet those who wanted to make it
even easier just suffered a big setback, and the EU is
none too pleased about it.
http://businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2006/tc20060403_979619.htm

ICANN Announces Call for Papers for PDP on Policies
for Contractual Conditions: Existing Registries
ICANN's Generic Names Supporting Organisation (GNSO)
is currently running a policy development process
relating to polices for contractual conditions for
existing ICANN registries.
http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-11apr06.htm

DNS Cache Poisoning - The Next Generation
The old problem of DNS cache poisoning has again
reared its ugly head. While some would argue that the
domain name system protocol is inherently vulnerable
to this style of attack due to the weakness of 16-bit
transaction IDs, we cannot ignore the immediate threat
while waiting for something better to come along.
http://www.it-observer.com/news/6071/dns_cache_poisoning_next_generation/

Savvy players shift tactics in internet name game
COMPLAINTS about ?cybersquatting? ? buying an internet
domain name with a view to selling it to an interested
party at a profit ? rose 20 per cent last year,
according to the World International Property
Organisation (Wipo), which handles such cases.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9071-2123780,00.html

Language diversity to continue net's rise as No. 1
communication medium
English is no longer the language of the web, but
systems are evolving that will maintain its global
integrity without stifling diversity
http://smh.com.au/news/perspectives/language-diversity-to-continue-nets-rise-as-no-1-communicationmedium/2006/04/10/1144521238556.html

Finding Good ICANN Board Candidates by Ram Mohan
In the late summer of 2006, the ICANN Nominating
Committee will convene to select three members to the
ICANN Board of Directors, and four members to various
councils.  Depending on the global visibility of the
nominees, and the current political and technical
currents pulling at the Internet community, these
nominations will be both pilloried and lauded in
different circles.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/finding_good_icann_board_candidates/

New .EU Domain Name System Irks U.S. Firm
An American company's charge that cheating went on
during the rush for new .eu domains is flat out wrong,
the European registry responsible for handing out the
names countered Tuesday.
http://www.techweb.com/headlines_week/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=185300338
http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/11/hijack/index.php
http://infoworld.com/article/06/04/11/77325_HNregistryhijacked_1.html
http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=16461
http://internetweek.cmp.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=185300494

Cybersquatters move in on London.eu
Cybersquatters from Latin America have taken over
London, Paris and Dublin. And a virtual landgrabber
from Milton Keynes has moved in on Leeds, Liverpool
and Manchester.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13130-2129650,00.html

The Tale of the Missing "D"
John Berryhill, writing on the ICANN Registrars' list:
"As of this morning, we are one million registrations
into the first TLD designed to be a mis-type of
another TLD. Go check the status of your favorite .EDU
name in the .EU registry."
http://blog.lextext.com/blog/_archives/2006/4/10/1876906.html

The .EU landrush fiasco. A bumbling registry allows
Europe's very own domain name to be highjacked! By Bob
Parsons, founder & CEO of GoDaddy)
What happens when you match an inept registry with
crafty businessmen? The answer is a really large scam.
This is what is taking place with the ?landrush?
introduction of the new .EU top level domain name.
This breaking story is a fascinating study of both
grand manipulation and lax administration on the part
of the EURid registry.
http://www.bobparsons.com/EULandrushFiasco.html
http://domaintimes.net/newseng.php?mhnews_id=306&mhnews_newsid=8225&mhnews_page=1

Dot-eu domains top 1 million after landrush (reg
req'd)
More than 700,000 domain names were registered in just
the first four hours of the .eu landrush period, which
began last Friday
http://www.managingip.com/?Page=9&PUBID=198&ISS=21649&SID=624585
http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/041006_.EU_Registrations_Surpass_One_Million.cfm
http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=72285&pt=n

.eu domain names ? don?t forget to register them
Public sector organisations who missed out applying
during the ?sunrise? application period can now apply
for .eu Top Level Domains, on a first-come,
first-served basis.
http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4789

Europe Goes Online
Dot.com used to be the buzzword of the day. Now, the
European Union is placing its bets on its own domain
name. The ".eu" ending is expected to triumph on the
Internet.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,1961948,00.html

Fast start for European net names
More than 1.3 million .eu domains have been registered
according to Eurid, the non-profit agency that
oversees the new net name.
http://www.netimperative.com/2006/04/10/One_million_eu/view
http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=134201
http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/News/eb2663c6-5e58-47c9-923d-453d1a83e29e.html
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1669884,00020020.htm

Delays hit XXX porn domain
A plan to brand pornographic websites ?.xxx? has
suffered a setback due to unresolved ?public policy
issues.?
http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002608.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sources include Quicklinks <http://qlinks.net/> and
BNA Internet Law News <http://www.bna.com/ilaw/>.

(c) David Goldstein 2006

David Goldstein
 address: 4/3 Abbott Street
             COOGEE NSW 2034
             AUSTRALIA
 email: Goldstein_David &#167;yahoo.com.au
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - home