[DNS] domain name & governance news - 24 March

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:16:03 +1000 (EST)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Check out http://auda.org.au/domain-news/dn-news for
the latest domain news. By close of business 28 March
Melbourne time, a more recent edition of the news
should be posted to the auDA web site.

The domain name news is supported by auDA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is the US practicing Internet imperialism?

http://americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=313994

ICANN-UN debate comes to Wellington

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/44D83EC29A6A713FCC257133007EDC19

nz: Support for internet red light zone
 http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/684404

auDA wants input on domain rules

http://zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/auDA_wants_input_on_domain_rules/0,2000061791,39247511,00.htm

au: Spoof PM site caught in crossfire

http://smh.com.au/news/breaking/howard-spoof-site-caught-in-crossfire/2006/03/22/1142703433900.html

CIRA Suspends Participation in ICANN

http://www.circleid.com/posts/cira_suspends_participation_in_icann/

ICANN Creates Area on Universal Acceptance of TLDs

http://www.circleid.com/posts/icann_on_universal_acceptance_of_tlds/

ICANN Posts Draft of Final Version of Strategic Plan

http://www.circleid.com/posts/icann_posts_draft_of_final_strategic_plan/

Denial of service attacks a worry, says VeriSign

http://computerweekly.com/Feeds/RS/Articles/2006/03/22/214951/Denialofserviceattacksaworry,saysVeriSign.htm

***********
GOVERNANCE
***********
Is the US practicing Internet imperialism?
The Internet, like the moon or Antarctica, is supposed
to be above the control of any individual government.
But some other countries, including China and Brazil,
say US influence over the international Internet
address system is out of keeping with that idea and
they have some valid concerns.

http://americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=313994

ICANN-UN debate comes to Wellington
Discussions on internet governance can be expected to
form a significant part of the ICANN deliberations in
Wellington. The governance issue first emerged into
prominence at the preparatory meetings for the first
World Summit on the Information Society in Geneva in
2003.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/44D83EC29A6A713FCC257133007EDC19

Go Digital: Your digital world
In this the final edition of Go Digital we discuss the
progress of the UN's plan to connect every village in
the world to the internet by 2015. As a counterpoint
we speak to someone who thinks the expansion of
digital technology should all be left in the hands of
the free market.

****************
DOMAIN NAMES
****************
au: auDA seeks public?s opinion on domain monetisation
(news release)
auDA announces the release of an issues paper that
asks for public comment on whether or not domain
monetisation should be included within the meaning of
auDA?s "close and substantial connection" rule.
 http://auda.org.au/news.php?newsid=54

auDA wants input on domain rules
Australia's domain name administrator today called for
public comment on the practice of registering large
numbers of domain names for the purpose of selling
click-through advertising.

http://zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/auDA_wants_input_on_domain_rules/0,2000061791,39247511,00.htm

au: Spoof PM site caught in crossfire
The fate of a spoof John Howard website created as an
act of satire remains in limbo as the organisations
involved in its closure attempt to justify why it was
blocked without any consultation with its creator.

http://smh.com.au/news/breaking/howard-spoof-site-caught-in-crossfire/2006/03/22/1142703433900.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/20/oz_satire_site/

CIRA Suspends Participation in ICANN
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
has issued a public letter to ICANN calling on the
organization to follow accountable, transparent, and
fair processes. Until the concerns are addressed, CIRA
says it is suspending its voluntary contributions to
ICANN

http://www.circleid.com/posts/cira_suspends_participation_in_icann/

http://computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=6C0EA323%2D8CB9%2D4760%2D928E%2D6D375672ECDB

ICANN do IT in Wellington (news release)
>From March 27-31, InternetNZ is hosting ICANN
Wellington. This is big: There are 700+ delegates from
around the globe attending ICANN Wellington; 90
governments from Congo to the Cayman Islands are
represented.
 http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0603/S00044.htm

ICANN Meeting: The Road to Wellington by Susan
Crawford
What would it take for this upcoming meeting to be a
success? I am a big believer in ICANN?s core
principles, and in the forum it provides for private
self-governance of domain names and numbers.  I think
the ICANN model continues to have great potential as a
form of governance.  For this meeting to be a success
for me, personally, I?d like to see those core
principles made more visibly operational?or at least
see a start made on this effort.  I?m putting a stake
in the ground with these posts, and we?ll see whether
progress happens or not.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/icann_meeting_the_road_to_wellington/

ICANN Creates Area on Universal Acceptance of TLDs
ICANN creates area on universal acceptance of TLDs in
order for the full resources of the Internet to be
available to all users globally, service and
application providers must make use of the complete
range of TLDs. To promote accessibility of up-to-date
TLD information, ICANN is making available a new page
of resources related to this topic.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/icann_on_universal_acceptance_of_tlds/

ICANN Posts Draft of Final Version of Strategic Plan
Development of the July 2006 to June 2009 strategic
plan began at the ICANN meeting in Luxembourg in July
2005 and has included extensive consultation with the
community through small group workshops in English,
French and Spanish, workshops with Supporting
Organizations and Advisory committees, public forums
at ICANN meetings and public forums on the ICANN
website.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/icann_posts_draft_of_final_strategic_plan/

ICANN Posts Proposed Version of Annual Operating Plan
for Review and Comment
ICANN today posted a draft version of the 2006-07
annual Operating Plan, comprised of projects to be
undertaken in order to achieve the goals set out in
ICANN's Strategic Plan. Feedback on the plan will be
gathered during consultative sessions during the
Wellington meeting and thereafter. ICANN will then
post a plan in accordance with the comment received.

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-21mar06.htm

ICANN Creates Area on Universal Acceptance of TLDs
In order for the full resources of the Internet to be
available to all users globally, service and
application providers must make use of the complete
range of top-level domains (TLDs). To promote
accessibility of up-to-date TLD information, ICANN is
making available a new page of resources related to
this topic.

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-20mar06.htm

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad ICANN by Bret Fausett
Every once in a while, ICANN pushes so far past the
limits of acceptable decision-making processes that
the only suitable response becomes satire. Here are
three recent examples:

http://blog.lextext.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/20/1830779.html

CFIT Updates ICANN Complaint
The Coalition for ICANN Transparency announced this
week that it has filed an amended complaint in the US
District Court in San Jose.

http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/032006_CFIT_Updates_ICANN_Complaint.cfm

US Senate restarts .XXX debate
Plans to force creators of content that features 'lewd
exhibition of the genitals' into an Internet red-light
zone have been proposed by two US Democratic senators

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39258374,00.htm
 http://itvibe.com/news/3986/
 http://dmeurope.com/default.asp?ArticleID=14318

.xxx tag ignores porno problems
INTERNET domain name regulation is a clandestine
world. The modern-day equivalents of money trees,
not-for-profit regulators largely operate free from
government intervention and accountability.

http://smh.com.au/news/technology/xxx-tag-ignores-porno-problems/2006/03/20/1142703275024.html

nz: Support for internet red light zone
A proposal for an internet red light zone has won the
cautious approval of local internet groups.
 http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/684404

us: Family & Porn Groups Team Up To Kill Bill
When ICANN lacked the fortitude to withstand the
flurry of protestations against the proposed .xxx
domain for pornographic websites, two U.S. Senators
took up the cause proposing not just the domain's
creation but also a .com eviction notice.

http://webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20060320FamilyPornGroupsTeamUpToKillBill.html

Denial of service attacks a worry, says VeriSign
VeriSign has warned of potential chaos caused by new
dangerous types of distributed denial of service
(DDoS) attacks.

http://computerweekly.com/Feeds/RS/Articles/2006/03/22/214951/Denialofserviceattacksaworry,saysVeriSign.htm

Report on DNS Amplification Attacks
In this newly released paper Randal Vaughn and Gadi
Evron discuss the threat of Distributed Denial of
Service (DDoS) attacks using recursive DNS name
servers open to the world. The study is based on case
studies of several attacked ISPs reported to have on a
volume of 2.8Gbps. One reported event indicated
attacks reaching as high as 10Gbps and used as many as
140,000 exploited name servers.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/report_on_dns_amplification_attacks/

us: City lets Web site domain name expire
Dyersburg's city Web site, cityofdyersburg.org,
expired from the Internet's domain registration on
March 10 before it was renewed on March 16.
 http://www.stategazette.com/story/1144613.html

Ireland to implement ENUM contact directory
Ireland is to be the third country in the EU to
implement an ENUM contact directory, but the opt-in
system may be weakened by low participation among
consumers.
 http://electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9675964.html

CIRA dreht ICANN den Geldhahn ab
Die "Canadian Internet Registry Authority" (CIRA),
verantwortlich f?r die Verwaltung der country code Top
Level Domain .ca, verweigert die weitere
Zusammenarbeit mit der Internet-Verwaltung ICANN.
 http://www.intern.de/news/7790.html
 http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/71050

?Qui?n es qui?n en el .cat?
Grupos independentistas y pancatalanistas se
encuentran tras la Fundaci?n que ha creado el nuevo
dominio de Internet

http://www.elmundo-eldia.com/2006/03/23/illes_balears/1143068403.html

Ciberespeculadores se har?n con la mayor?a de los
dominios ".eu" disponibles
El 7 de Abril comienza el libre registro de dominios
".EU" d?ndose por finalizado el llamado "sunrise
period". A partir de esta fecha cualquier persona o
sociedad podr? hacerse con la propiedad de un dominio
que se encuentre libre y las artima?as para hacerse
con los m?s llamativos ya se han puesto en marcha con
la complicidad del registrador EURID

http://www.latinoamericann.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1239&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Un soutien s?natorial pour le .XXX
Deux s?nateurs am?ricains proposent une loi pour
obliger les professionnels de la pornographie ?
s'afficher en .XXX.
 http://domaines.info/vie_extensions.php?vde_id=875

Des pr?cisions sur les nouvelles extensions chinoises
L'arriv?e de trois extensions chinoises provoque un
certain malaise eu sein de la communaut? du nommage.
Pourtant, les extensions en question existent depuis
deux ans. D?codage.
 http://domaines.info/vie_extensions.php?vde_id=862

Un domaine pour la Bretagne
"Un domaine pour la Bretagne !", telle est la
revendication de l?association PointBZH. Celle-ci
propose une p?tition en ligne afin que l'AFNIC et
l'ICANN, organismes charg?s de r?guler les extensions
Internet, entendent sa requ?te : la cr?ation de
l?extension .bzh (pour Breizh).

http://www.journaldunet.com/breve/france/1699/un-domaine-pour-la-bretagne.shtml

La France, 2?me en nombre de .EU actifs
Avec pr?s de 3 000 noms de domaine en .EU d?j? actifs,
la France devient le deuxi?me pays d'Europe en volume
de .EU d'ores et d?j? exploitables par leurs
propri?taires.

http://domaines.info/vie_extensions.php?vde_id=881&z=100

> [...]

Evron discuss the threat of Distributed Denial of
Service (DDoS) attacks using recursive DNS name
servers open to the world. The study is based on case
studies of several attacked ISPs reported to have on a
volume of 2.8Gbps. One reported event indicated
attacks reaching as high as 10Gbps and used as many as
140,000 exploited name servers.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/report_on_dns_amplification_attacks/

us: City lets Web site domain name expire
Dyersburg's city Web site, cityofdyersburg.org,
expired from the Internet's domain registration on
March 10 before it was renewed on March 16.
 http://www.stategazette.com/story/1144613.html

Ireland to implement ENUM contact directory
Ireland is to be the third country in the EU to
implement an ENUM contact directory, but the opt-in
system may be weakened by low participation among

***************************
CYBERCRIME, CYBERSECURITY AND PRIVACY
***************************
au: Charges over web death threat
A Central Coast high school student has been accused
of making death threats to two teachers and a
14-year-old girl over the internet.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/03/24/1143083951297.html

uk: Warning to chatroom users after libel award for
man labelled a Nazi
A political argument that erupted in a remote corner
of cyberspace and descended into vicious name-calling
could lead to a spate of libel actions by contributors
to internet message boards, the man at the centre of
the case claimed yesterday.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1737444,00.html

uk: Net defamation suit leads to libel award
Michael Keith Smith of the U.K. Independence Party has
become the latest person to win substantial damages
after being defamed on the Internet.

http://news.com.com/Net+defamation+suit+leads+to+libel+award/2100-1030_3-6053070.html

us: Big Crackdown on Child Pornography
A new battle line has been drawn in the fight against
child pornography. The word from the federal
prosecutor in Detroit is: no plea deals, and maximum
sentences.

http://www.detnow.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4567241,00.html

us: Four men charged in Nigeria e-mail scam
A quartet of suspected e-mail scammers -- three of
them Nigerian citizens -- could face scores of years
in prison if convicted on fraud and conspiracy
charges, the US Justice Department said on Thursday.

http://zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Four_men_charged_in_Nigeria_e_mail_scam/0,2000061744,39247806,00.htm

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
New FEC Rules Would Regulate Paid Web Ads
The Federal Election Commission proposed new rules
Friday that would leave almost all Internet political
activity unregulated. The proposal would, however,
require paid advertisements for federal candidates on
the Internet to be paid for with money regulated by
federal campaign law.
 http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FEC_INTERNET

us: Election commission takes light touch with Net
regs
The Internet's freewheeling days as a place exempt
from the heavy hand of federal election laws are about
to end.
 http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6053986.html

*****************************
INTERNET & NEW TECHNOLOGY USE
*****************************
People use Internet to satisfy other addictions
In regards to the story on March 9 about "Internet
addiction" ("Internet addiction affects some
students"), it seems that we are treating the wrong
disorder. The story presents us with the fact that the
Internet (in this "addiction" context) is usually just
a means to an end.

http://www.purdueexponent.org/index.php/module/Issue/action/Article/article_id/3373

eu: Television is going Mobile - and needs a pan
European policy approach
Sppech by Viviane Reding, Member of the European
Commission responsible for Information Society and
Media. International CeBIT Summit, Hannover, Germany,
8 March 2006.

http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/06/157&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Sources include Quicklinks <http://qlinks.net/> and
BNA Internet Law News <http://www.bna.com/ilaw/>.