[DNS] Time for the rules to changeregardingtransferringdomainname licences

From: Discount Domain Name Services <rod§ddns.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:56:51 +1000
Well said Kirk.

-----Original Message-----
From: dns-bounces+simon=ddns.com.au&#167;dotau.org
[mailto:dns-bounces+simon=ddns.com.au&#167;dotau.org] On Behalf Of Kirk Fletcher
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:59 PM
To: .au DNS Discussion List
Subject: Re: [DNS] Time for the rules to

"James Collins" wrote:
> Some thoughts that spring to mind include (1) Limiting the sale
> price for a domain to that of what it cost someone to acquire it.
> This could reasonably include additional fees from third parties
> such as domain host companies.  (2) A ceiling figure for the
> transfer costs of a domain could be given, preventing speculation
> viability, but permitting legitimate trade.

I'm astounded that so many people around here seem to push an
agenda for price regulation.  What country do you people think
you're living in?

Even if such an idea were acceptable (which it isn't,) how do you
calculate what the domain cost?  You said you'd include additional
fees such as hosting, etc... what about advertising costs - anything
that could be attributed to marketting the "brand"?  Who is going to
investigate claims of overpricing?  We going to have Price Surveillance
Authourity check which costs can be included every time someone
sells?  You people are insane!

Whether or not you have a problem with speculation is a moot
point... it already happens, and is already legal.  You just have to
sell the entity that owns the domain.  All the regulations in place
at the moment do, as with any new crazy schemes you come
up with, is hurt the small guy.

> In a lot of this, auDA & their associates have been written up as
> the bad guys. Surely no one can truly believe this?

I'll be the first to admit that .au has come a long way since the days
of Robert Elz... auDA's done many good things.  But they're being
held back by certain people - and it is these people that attract the
most criticism.  The relaxation of many rules since auDA took over
has made com.au a lot more business friendly (and I mean "business
friendly" with regards to registrants, not just registrars)

> auDA were given a wonderful thing in the .au domain space.
> A space where Robert Elz had ensured (Or at least attempted
> to as much as one man could) that if you had a domain name,
> you were the legitimate owner of it,

Oh, please... the man was a fool.  His restrictions were way over
the top, and held back the com.au namespace and online business
in this country.  Back in that day, .au was barely worth the hassle.

> and that you were extremely
> likely to be involved in the _growth_ of the internet, and not in
> merely creating stagnant pockets to line your own pockets.

Wanting to "line your own pockets" and promoting growth of the
internet are not mutually exclusive... in fact, I would say you need
people willing to line their own pockets to make it a success.  To
quote from Adam Smith:

"He generally, indeed, neither intends to promote the public interest,
nor knows how much he is promoting it.... He intends only his own gain,
and he is in this, and in many other cases, led by an invisible hand
to promote an end which was no part of his intention.... By pursuing
his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more
effectually than when he really intends to promote it."

> auDA have encouraged growth within the space by releasing some
> limits that were stifling growth and discouraging business. They have
> ensured that we have a stable and world class Registry and Registrar
> system.

And there are still some limits stifling further growth... this needs to
be addressed.

Regards,
Kirk Fleeced