[DNS] Time for the rules to changeregardingtransferringdomainname licences

From: Bennett Oprysa <bennett§enetica.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:46:46 +1000
As I have said, the current process for registrant transfers is far to
complex and difficult. The time it takes from when someone first
contacts us about it to when the whole thing is completed ranges from 2
days to 2 weeks. The specific paperwork required is for whatever reason
too complicated for people to complete without a lot of hand holding and
re-tries. I have just recently increased the fees we charge for a
registrant transfer for .au because of how much of my staff's time they
take. This cost is obviously paid by the domain owner, as well as the
other costs they incur in filing in the correct forms etc.

And just to really put this crap about registars being in it just for
the money to bed, I do not make a single cent when someone transfers a
gtld to another owner, it is a simple and automated process. That is
what I want to see in .au, ie I am actually asking to go from a model
where I do make some money from transfers to a model where I don't.

Yes, the freeing up of the transfer rules will almost certainly mean
more domain sales, so yes, I will make more money in that way, but as we
have established, I am actually allowed to make money.

The accusation has been that the ONLY reason we would want these changes
is to make more money, well, I have given you a perfectly good reason
why the changes would also benefit domain owners.

Bennett.