[DNS] Time for the rules to change regarding transferring domainname licences

From: Jason Backshall <jbackshall§staff.iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:38:51 +0800
>Now that auDA has (finally) caught up with reality and released the
>remaining generic and geographic names that weren't registered when Mr
Elz >was away on holiday back in the mid 90's, it would seem a good time
to >remove another artificial (and ineffective) restriction on the
development >of the .au domain name industry.

The only problem with that is - whose job is it to define what is
effective, and what is ineffective development of the industry?

Removing the restrictions in place, in my opinion, would be
counter-productive, and would only bring us closer to the free-for-all
that is the US .com system. By lifting the restrictions, you only open
the door to squatters and the like, which in the minds of many, would be
a backwards step in many peoples' minds. Those 'restrictions' are there
for a reason, and have served the industry well. Why change now?

J.