[DNS] FW: Geographic .COM.AU names

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:35:55 +0800
Quoting Michael Purse on Sunday September 11, 2005:

| Basically, the entire ballot process turned out to be a complete farce
| and embarassment. Considering the Geographic Names were once protected, I am
| exceptionally disappointed at how things panned out.

Given hindsight is 20/20, how would you have conducted things?

Whilst we can always learn new things from experience, alluding that one
can create a perfect ungamable system seems rather ambitious.

So far, the only hoarding strategy we have seen "succeed" against the
public interest is the creation of a whole pile of companies. This
latest example (finding investors after the auction) probably will not
because it apparently breaches rules as cited by David Keegel.

For me, to call an ambitious once off venture a "complete farce" due to
one example of a participant mining a loophole seems a bit of a stretch.
For all we know the vast majority of the auction has been conducted
without incident.

kim