domain name, WSIS & governance news - 28 Jul

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 02:15:52 +1000 (EST)
Check out http://auda.org.au/domain-news/dn-news for
the latest domain news. By close of business Melbourne
time on 1 August, a more recent edition of the news
will normally be posted to the auDA web site. The
domain name news is supported by auDA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DOMAIN NAMES
****************
us: Hillary Clinton, Cyberwarrior
Hillary Clinton, at first blush, would appear to have
little in common with big-screen bombshells like
Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts, let alone such iconic
sportsmen as the late Vince Lombardi. But as
politicians go, New York's junior senator is larger
than life. And like each of these superstars, she has
seen her good name hijacked by so-called
"cybersquatters."

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0530,lombardi,66223,2.html

us: Advocates Take Supreme Court Fight To Web
THE BATTLE TO REPLACE U.S. Supreme Court Justice
Sandra Day O'Connor has yet to begin in the Senate,
but advocacy groups started making online preparations
as early as November of 2004 by purchasing domain
names related to possible nominees.

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=32379

Mozilla Implements TLD Whitelist for Firefox in
Response to IDN Homographs Spoofing
Mozilla Foundation has announced changes to Firefox
concerning Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) to
deal with homograph spoofing attacks. According to the
organization, "Mozilla Foundation products now only
display IDNs in a whitelist of TLDs, which have
policies stating what characters are permitted, and
procedures for making sure that no homographic domains
are registered to two different entities."
 http://www.circleid.com/article/1148_0_1_0_C

Free Trials Offered by .name Registry
The operator of the .name registry is offering a "free
trial" on its domains, and appears to be encouraging
registrars to mass-register .name URLs for existing
customers.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/07/24/free_trials_offered_by_name_registry.html

New .tel domain will manage contacts
ICANN has approved an application for a new .tel
domain, that will hold contact details for companies
and individuals. The final contract has yet to be
produced, but Telnic, the company that put in the
application, is expecting to offer .tel domains by the
end of 2006.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;94951803;fp;2;fpid;1

http://domaintimes.net/newseng.php?mhnews_id=306&mhnews_newsid=5889&mhnews_page=1

The End User: Scaling down the real Web
Every day, I look on the Internet from my mobile
phone. Often, I don't like what I see - and I'm not
just talking about the cellphone spam I get.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/07/15/business/ptend16.php

us: Infoblox delivers nonstop DNS
Information technology managers struggling to maintain
complex network identity infrastructures could get
some relief from new appliances and software that
Infoblox released this month. The products are
designed to keep crucial Domain Name System (DNS)
services running smoothly.
 http://www.fcw.com/article89004-05-30-05-Print

us: Go Daddy Group Offers .JOBS Domains
Go Daddy, Blue Razor Domains and Wild West Domains now
offer the .JOBS top level domain extension.

http://www.webhostdir.com/news/articles/shownews.asp?id=12640

Domain names registered by Disney reveal studio plans
Jim Hill Media writes of some website names registered
by Disney, including quite a number taken just for the
Tarzan and Mary Poppins Broadway shows alone.
 http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003746.html

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1562

us: NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab Boosts DNS Operations
with Infoblox Appliances (news release)
Infoblox today announced that Jet Propulsion
Laboratory (JPL), managed for NASA by the California
Institute of Technology, has selected Infoblox
appliances to perform domain name resolution services
– essential to keeping the JPL network available 24x7
and collecting, correlating and transmitting data
collected by spacecraft instruments aboard NASA
satellites.
 http://infoblox.com./news/release.cfm?ID=45

*********************
WSIS & GOVERNANCE
*********************
When Will The Internet Be Divided Among Nations?
The desired goal of most of the other countries other
than US is to end up with their own local language
suffixes, own local language domain names, basically
their own Internet, with its own domain registration
policies -- in a nutshell, a very big and a very
complex global mess, indeed.
 http://www.circleid.com/article/1145_0_1_0_C

BBC Go Digital podcast
The UN considers how the net should be run, our love
affair with the iPod and hi-tech fish

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sources include Quicklinks <http://qlinks.net/> and
BNA Internet Law News <http://www.bna.com/ilaw/>.

(c) David Goldstein 2005

David Goldstein
 address: 4/3 Abbott Street
             COOGEE NSW 2034
             AUSTRALIA
 email: Goldstein_David &#167;yahoo.com.au
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - home

* Note new address and home phone number as of 28 May 2005.