Re: [DNS] Whois & Spam

From: Michael Purse <pursey§gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:34:30 +1000
Though, it might be a good discussion point actually.

Its actually been a concern of mine for a while now. We have a policy
in place which requires us to provide a valid email address for the
Registrant and Technical Contact.

This is accessable by anyone who does a WHOIS search, and as much as
we would like to think has a restriction on the amount of WHOIS
searches that can be performed, it really isn't all that good a method
of protection considering the ways around it.

Whilst the email addresses should absolutely have to be provided, as
they really are required by the Registrar, they shouldn't be made
available to the public unless either: the domain holder consents to
having the email address published, or an individual/business has
requested the email address of the registrant or technical contact
from the Registrar with a valid reason, or for a valid legal reason
(ie. Warrant). My personal preference is simply an opt-out option.
Many people may not want their email address on public display.

Regards,

Michael Purse