Re: [DNS] domain name, WSIS & governance news - 7 July

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:12:28 +1000 (EST)
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, David Goldstein wrote:

 > ICANN's man in Europe bows out
 > Internet overseeing organisation ICANN still has
 > problems but it will come out of the UN's upcoming
 > review into Internet governance with flying colours,
 > the organisation's man in Europe, Paul Verhoef has
 > predicted on the eve of his departure.
 >
 > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/05/icann_euro_chief
 >
 > The US Department of Commerce, the DNS Root, and ICANN
 > The recent announcement in eWeek titled "Feds Won't
 > Let Go of Internet DNS" (slashdotted here) has some
 > major internet policy implications. The short, careful
 > wording appears to be more of a threat to ICANN than a
 > power grab. In short, the US Department of Commerce's
 > National Telecommunications and Information
 > Administration announced that it was not going to stop
 > overseeing ICANN's changes to the DNS root.
 >  http://www.circleid.com/article/1130_0_1_0_C

On the latter issue, a perhaps more European point of view by the same
author as the former ..

 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/01/bush_net_policy/

And the link you posted to Geoff Huston's IPv6 space allocation article
was fascinating (to me anyway); maybe worth repeating for the skimmers:

 http://ispcolumn.isoc.org/2005-07/ipv6size.html

 > eu: Get in before the rush and obtain a .travel domain name now

<cough ;\>

Cheers, Ian