RE: [DNS] Re: NETREGISTRY - Re your fax regarding netrider.org.au

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:38:59 +1000
Jason,

I'm sure everyone on this list appreciates your concern and consternation
regarding this name and its circumstances. Brett has articulated that
NetRegistry has acted in good faith at all times, with the intention of
assiduously following our procedures and auDA policy.

You have discussed one side of a story and there are always two sides, and
all members of this list need to consider what that other side might be to
arrive at a balanced view. It is not impossible that Jason Allen and his
Netrider mates are not the actual owner of the name.

As I understand it, the other Jason registered the name and at that time,
there was no legal entity other than himself. This may mean that despite who
has used the name since, he remains the valid licensee. Certainly he remains
the authorised registrant contact and we have acted in good faith at his
direction.

Jason Allen did send us a fax, as he has described, but again, I'm not sure
it's a fax we should necessarily have taken at face value. I'm not saying we
shouldn't believe it, just that on the evidence presented to us, it is not
clear-cut that his fax represented the actual licensee of the name.

At the end of the day, fingers can be pointed all over the place, but the
root cause has nothing to do with Registrars not doing their job, but with
individuals and/or companies who do not look after their affairs. It is the
inability of the two parties concerned to agree on who owns the name that is
the cause of the dispute. Both parties claim the name and both parties have
considerable evidence to support their claim. As such, it is a matter for
the regulator to assist the two parties to resolve.

For the record, our client is (and has always been) "Ls1 Owners Club of
Australia", its contact is Jason Fearon, we have been paid using a credit
card in that name, and before this matter arose, we had never heard of Jason
Allen. On what basis should we consider your (Jason Allen's) fax to be the
gospel truth, given our customer contradicts it?

I know you now run the site and therefore feel you 'own' domain name, but
this may in fact not be the case. I'm just raising this as a possibility
before everyone jumps to conclusions. The fact that it is a commercial
entity and shouldn't even be in org.au is of course another issue.

Lastly, Jason, NetRegistry cannot and never does alter the Last Modified
Date. This is something that the Registry does. It would appear that their
procedure for altering Registrant Names lacks the necessary logic to update
this field. No doubt because it is a manual process. If you feel this is an
issue (and I do) you may want to raise it with auDA and AusRegistry.

Regards

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Ltd
       http://www.netregistry.com.au
Tel:  02 9699 6099          Fax:  02 9699 6088
PO Box 270    Broadway      NSW 2007 Australia

Domains |Business Email|Web Hosting|E-Commerce
Trusted  by  10,000s of  businesses since 1997