Re: [DNS] Searcher twists name rules

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:43:19 +1100
Kim Davies [kim&#167;cynosure.com.au] wrote:
> get from my ISP.
>
> And what is the end result? The .de zone contains I think something of
> the magnitude of 8-9 million domain names with practically every
> useful domain name gone. If you have a company name, the odds of getting
> something remotely matching that name in the zone is slim. The odds of
> getting a new name that is mnemonically attractive is almost zero. The
> number of new domains that are 30+ character monstrosities is high.

thats not really the case. nothing stops you from buying names people
are sitting on doing nothing with.

the reality is different names have different value, the .au policy
prevent anyone from realising this different value, what does happen is
everybody subsidises this inability for secondary markets to form.

I should add auda has only granted itself the right to realise differential
value for domains. I would have thought that what was ok for the regulator
to do would be ok for everybody else as well.

apparently not.

Vic