Re: [DNS] Rationale of .au high price was: [DNS] Cat got your tongue Chris?

From: Tony Owen <tony§seol.net.au>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:50:04 +0930
> The costs of entry into the market for AusRegistry should not be passed
> onto the customer. this being the case, then AuDA failed the internet
> community in not ensuring that they got the best deal.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we can now workout how much profit they made
and see they did exceedingly well.

However, who knew how many domains they would sell ? ... after all unlike
other domain space .au domain names cannot be sold ...

When going into a venture a calculation has to be made on recouping startup
costs or the value of the business when it is sold, my understanding is that
if they lose in retendering, there business would be worthless .. so they
have to recoup all costs and turn a profit.

Will they continue with the same revenue stream? .. ie has anyone purchased
domain names hoping Auda will change the system and they can resell them ...

Business is uncertain, those who layout significant funds deserve a reward.

Cheers
Tony Owen
seol.net.au

---