RE: [DNS] More overpriced .au domains

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§applications.com.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:47:26 +1000
NSW Government Department of Education issues their primary and secondary
schools domain names at the fifth level under schools.nsw.edu.au - e.g.:

  http://www.rainbowst-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/
  http://www.randwickb-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/

So one payment of $50 per year for schools.nsw.edu.au covers all the domain
names for approximately 2,200 schools - which is pretty cost effective from
the Department of Education's perspective.

The downside of this trade-off is a fifth level domain name that's not
exactly "easy to remember".

But the Department's schools have other options, which some of them have
chosen to implement:

* Register a domain name at the fourth level under nsw.edu.au and use that
name.

* Register a domain name at the third level under com.au or net.au and use
that name - even NSW Public schools are commercial entities, in that they
provide services such as renting out premises to other organisations, etc,
and therefore would meet the criteria for com.au and net.au  (and probably
they meet the existing criteria for org.au).

* Register a domain name at the second level under a gTLD and use that name.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
+61 4 1374 3959
www.pplications.com.au
effectivebusiness&#167;applications.com.au